Monday, March 2, 2009

Feliz Cumpleanos, Senor Jason!


(disclaimer: you kind of have to know us to "get" this post. Racial slurs are part of daily life in the Robison house, due to Jason's family having adopted children from every corner of the world. Black, Asian, Mexican, white, Mayan Indian...you name it, they make fun of each other So we really aren't racist, which is so not obvious by what I am about to write .)

Jason had his big 3-0 birthday last month, so I knew we needed to do something special to celebrate. Anne and I planned a surprise party for him, and decided the only appropriate theme could be Most Offensive Mexican Party Ever.

The party store did not disappoint! We decked out our clubhouse in all things red, white and green, put Mexican flags everywhere, had several pinatas, and even found this little gem:



Its not a great photo, but its a big center piece that looks like a red, white and green firework with mexican flags shooting out all over. It. Was. Awesome.

What Offensive Mexican Party would be complete without candles?!

We also played a rousing game of "Pin the Stereotypical Item On The Mexican" - among the items to be pinned were a sombrero, a mustache, tequila bottle and a taco.




We had an awesome dinner of carne asada tacos, homemade avocado salsa, corn and black bean pie and chips. We made Bakerella's Fire & Ice Cupcakes, which were a big fat flop. I don't know if I used the wrong kind of chili powder (I used what she listed...) but they were HOT! This coming from a girl who can handle her spices, too. It way overpowered the chocolate, nobody was too big of a fan.

Anne and I were masters of the grill and grilled the steak by ourselves! We may or may not have also broken the grill in the process. (When I say broken I really mean the wheel freaking fell off when we tried to move it 2 inches. not our fault)



We had a great time!

Mindi & Kevin Andy & Emily


Anne, Jason & Hazen



3 comments:

AnnEE said...

I could relive this memory every day of my life, and I'd be a happy woman. Awww man, we're funny.

mckenna said...

Ha ha ha ha!! That's a pretty awesome party! You should have had potato sack races and had the finish line be the border!! Ha ha ha ha!!

Aubrey said...

Dang, McKenna, I should have consulted with you when making the list of Offensive Mexican Games! We tried to think of some but that would have been awesome. Next year....