Thursday, November 3, 2011

Potty Training

I'm starting to form a theory/idea. For anyone who hasn't started potty training their toddler, don't. I bet that if you just never broached the topic, the social pressure would eventually be enough for a kid to potty train himself. Granted he might be, like, 15 and severely ridiculed, but I'm starting to think thats not so bad compared to the loads of pee-smelling laundry I'm washing.

Potty training sucks.

Sigh. If I'm being perfectly honest, I really shouldn't complain. It only took Boston 2-3 days to "get it" and he rarely has accidents. He is in underwear anytime he is awake (he still has a pretty wet diaper most mornings so we are sticking with diapers at night for now) but we can comfortably go out grocery shopping, to the mall, etc and he will stay dry.  He is great about telling me when he needs to go unless he is playing with friends or at a park or whatever, then he needs to be reminded.

But it still sucks. I know accidents are inevitable you can't potty train without them, but MAN do I hate them. Its so frustrating to know that 95% of the time he is accident free, then randomly he will walk up to me and announce, "I PEED!" with wet pants. I have gotten into the (good) habit of always bringing him spare pants/underwear whenever we leave the house, and that has saved my soul more than once.  Add to the equation that Maia poops with the force of a hurricane and is regularly found with poop spilling out of her collar, and I find myself dealing with a lot of bodily fluids on a daily basis. (For real - the girl explodes at least one diaper every. single. day.)

I know this totally falls under Sucky Things We Signed Up For When We Decided To Breed. I know its only going to be a small blip in life and soon I won't even remember how obnoxious it was. I think I just need to start reminding myself of that every time I start the washer (AGAIN) filled with tiny little monster-truck undies.

1 comment:

Jen Suman said...

I nearly peed myself reading this post! Ha! My Mya was the most explosive pooper as well. If I didn't hold her upright with my hands firmly around the waist of her diaper while she pooped, I would have poop up to my elbows. Oh, and did I mention that at the time we were living in a basement apartment with NO WASHER? Yep, super fun! Remind me to tell you about the 2am pooping fiasco we had when she was a baby.

I think I may have broken a record for the number of times the word "poop" was used in that paragraph.